Frank Jennings Internships
The Frank Jennings Internship has been set up to give an opportunity for dedicated and talented individuals to gain experience working for the protection of human rights defenders in an international NGO and at the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
Two interns are selected each year starting one in April and one in October.
Each intern spends 3 months in Front Line where he/she will be trained in relation to Human Rights Defenders; the UN Declaration on Human Rights Defenders; the Mandate of the UN Special Representative; the procedures and methodology of the mandate; the role of Front Line and other national and international organisations in the support and protection of Human Rights Defenders.
The intern will then move to Geneva for a period 6 months before returning to Front Line for a further 3 months.
- The intern will be able to draft well and have good analytical skills.
- He/she will have some knowledge of the UN system and international and human rights law.
- He/she must be able to work in both English and Spanish
- He/she will be able to work on own initiative and as a member of a team.
- He/she will have good oral and written communication skills and be computer literate.
- He/she will be flexible and co-operative. Previous work experience with organisations working in the field of Human Rights would be desirable.Honorarium: €1050 per month Dublin and €1350 per month GenevaApplications comprising a cover letter and CV should be sent to Andrew Anderson, Deputy Director for the internship beginning in April and October
Basic Terms of reference – Front Line Defenders Dublin
- Provide support to Front Line Defenders’ Protection Coordinators including dealing with routine queries and correspondence with human rights defenders;
- Cooperate closely with the Regional Fellows and Protection Coordinators in drafting urgent appeals on behalf of human rights defenders at risk around the world
- Input HRD-related information on the Front Line Defenders database;
- Undertake clerical tasks such as faxing, photocopying, word processing, data entry, collating, emailing
- Support follow-up on cases taken up by Front Line Defenders or other specific projects relating to Human Rights Defenders as requested;
- Draft as requested, minutes, briefings, reports, appeals;
Basic Terms of Reference – Geneva SR
- Gather information on the situation of human rights defenders around the world (with a particular focus on themes of concern identified by the SR);
- In coordination with other thematic mechanisms and with geographic desk officers, and under the supervision of the HRD assistant to the SR, draft urgent appeals and communications to Governments concerning human rights violations against human rights defenders;
- Support follow-up of cases;
- Analyse replies received from Governments and prepare summaries for inclusion in the annual Human Rights Council (HRC) report;
- Assist in the drafting of annual reports to the HRC and the General Assembly;
- Assist in the preparation of background materials for official missions by the Special Rapporteur;
- Assist in liasing with non-governmental organizations for the smooth implementation of the mandate, as needed.
Whilst in Geneva, OHCHR internship regulations will apply.
For more details, and internships application materials, search: Frank Jennings Internship, Front Line Human Rights Defenders
Internship Programs in Africa