IntraHealth: 2019 Project Manager Job
IntraHealth International. Inc.
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Project Manager (PM) will continuously liaise between different members of the project technical team, who are based in both Uganda and the United States, to facilitate communication and harmonize activities across the team. The PM will contribute a deep understanding of the Ugandan healthcare system and family planning interventions to support the implementation, supervision, evaluation, and refinement of project activities. The PM will plan and execute all research activities and manage budgetary and logistical issues. The PM will report day-to-day to RHITES-E’s Family Planning Advisor, and will also receive technical inputs from US-based IntraHealth staff and ideas42 staff.
- Serve as primary point of contact for project and maintain continuous communication between Uganda and US-based project technical team, including RHITES-E staff, IntraHealth/US staff, ideas42 staff, and other in-country stakeholders.
- Convene, lead, and document weekly full-team Zoom conference calls; communicate via email with US-based team; attend and contribute to RHITES-E staff meetings in Mbale
- Align and harmonize technical inputs from IntraHealth/US staff, ideas42, and other stakeholders with RHITES-E priorities, for smooth project implementation.
- Plan and execute all project activities. Site preparation, intervention testing, and measurement activities may involve extended periods of field travel to remote sites (1-2 weeks at a time).
- Contribute local contextual knowledge (understanding of cultural norms, health system structure, service delivery, etc.) to inform intervention implementation, testing, and measurement.
- Contribute knowledge of Family Planning Interventions to inform intervention implementation, testing, and measurement.
- Ensure research ethics procedures are followed, including in-country IRB approval, data collector supervision, and field-based activity implementation
- Draft and revise project reports and other technical documents in coordination with RHITES-E staff, US-based IntraHealth staff and ideas42; reproduce print materials as needed
- Plan and participate in dissemination of project results including meetings with partners, government & community stakeholders, and the greater global health community including presentations, publications, conference abstracts, etc.
- Organize field travel for the project technical team, partners and international visitors.
- Attend behavioral science “bootcamp” training workshops and related activities.
- Participate in and complete behavioral science bootcamp projects and assignments.
- Coordinate training activities and other special events in Kampala, as necessary.
- Participate in budget and activity planning activities.
- Hire and coordinate training of short-term consultants and research assistants, such as data collectors and translators, interpreters.
- Work with the finance department and US-based program officer to track expenses; submit monthly expenses for inclusion in QuickBooks.
- Ensure real expenditures and real activities align with workplan; review budget and activity plan with local finance team, as needed
- Ensure compliance of all IntraHealth and donor procurement procedures
- Manage other tasks, as assigned.
Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, social development or related field and at least 5 years of relevant work experience or Bachelor’s degree and at least 8 years of relevant work experience
- Experience implementing family planning interventions at district and sub-district levels
- Experience managing research projects
- Experience with international donor-supported projects and US-based organizations
- Knowledge of Ugandan healthcare system, sexual reproductive health interventions
- Demonstrated skills in data collection, data management, ethical research implementation
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience writing reports, giving presentations, and attending multi-organizational stakeholder meetings
- Ability to draft and monitor project budgets and formulate financial projections
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work an alternative schedule (including evenings and weekends), as requested
- Travel to field study sites
- Prior field work experience in Eastern Uganda districts
- Knowledge of behavioral science and/or human-centered design methodology
- Qualitative research experience
- Project advocacy skills
- Fluency in local languages.
- Advanced interpersonal skills with both Ugandan and international colleagues
- Strong organizational, planning, multi-tasking, administrative, and management skills
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and data analysis software package
- Fluency in spoken and written English
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
Masters or better in Public Health or related field.
3-5 years: Experience with international donor-supported projects and US-based organizations
3-5 years: Experience managing research projects
5-8 years: Experience implementing family planning interventions at district and sub-district levels
5-8 years: Project management
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1