UNHCR: Associate Environment and Energy Officer Job 2019
VACANCY NOTICE Internal/ External Vacancy Notice Number 013/2019
POSITION NUMBER 10030515
NUMBER OF VACANCIES 1
POSITION GRADE NO-B
CLOSING DATE 2019-06-13
TYPE OF CONTRACT Fixed Term
In Uganda, the presence of over 1.2 million refugees hosted with a settlement approach requires deliberate environmental management to mitigate the footprint of the response and sustain the integrity of the asylum space and peaceful co-existence with host communities. Further, in humanitarian contexts, sustainable energy is a crosscutting issue with broad implications for self-reliance, protection, education, health, and environment, and necessitates collaboration amongst a wide variety of actors in governmental, nongovernmental, and private sectors. To enhance safe access to fuel and energy for refugees, it is imperative to design a programme based on a feasibility study and baseline assessment with substantial refugee consultation. Such programmes should be holistic, from fuel provision to providing appropriate cooking and lighting technologies to refugees.
UNHCR is creating an Associate Environment & Energy Officer position in Kampala to coordinate and provide technical support on environmental protection and energy access. The incumbent will support all issues related to environment and energy and its cross-cutting impacts including self-reliance, education and protection, as well as integration with national responders including central and local governments for continued implementation of the Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework. The incumbent will support management of forestry programming in refugee-hosting districts in partnership with the National Forestry Authority and the Ministry of Water and Environment.
The position will be based in Kampala Country Office and will work closely with colleagues in related technical sectors including education, livelihoods, protection, health, community services, shelter, water and sanitation, and gender and age. S/he will coordinate and provide technical support to a regional network of country-level energy and environment focal points in the 12 refugee hosting districts in Uganda, including assistance with geo-spatial data collection and analysis.
ACCOUNTABILITY (key results that will be achieved)
- Assistance provided to the Senior Environment and Energy Officer in sector coordination activities.
- Assistance is provided in establishing partnerships with government ministries, NGOs, other UN agencies and donors and coordinating, planning a response to refugee related environmental damages in the country.
- Technical advice is provided to develop project proposals and to support programme implementation of environmental and self-reliance projects.
- Assistance is provided on the geo-spatial analysis of energy and environmental activities to strengthen government capacity and inter-agency coordination.
- UNHCR management is assisted in establishing coordination, monitoring and evaluation systems, including information sharing mechanisms regarding environment, energy sources and livelihoods
RESPONSIBILITY (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Support sector coordination activities with other energy/environment stakeholders in the refugee settlements including facilitation of working group meetings, data collection and reporting.
- Lead the baseline assessments and feasibility studies on energy in refugee situations in the region.
- Coordinate the design of energy and environment programmes of the operations in the region, identifying appropriate energy interventions, including alternative/renewable energy sources. This should be based on outcomes of the baseline and feasibility studies, and extensive consultation with the refugee community and stakeholders within UNHCR, the government, implementing partners and NGOs/other UN agencies. Work in a cross-sectoral and coordinated approach in cooperation with UN agencies, nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) and other humanitarian partners in the region.
- Develop and ensure implementation of policies and strategies.
- Review and provide technical input on reports and proposals from the field with the aim of verifying compliance with UNHCR policy priorities on refugee women and children, gender, adolescents and other related areas. This includes considering the cross-sectoral impact of energy on other sectors such as education, livelihoods and protection.
- Represent UNHCR in relevant national meetings and technical conferences.
- Provide technical assistance on energy and environment to UNHCR operations in the region, and implementing partners.
- Lead the design and implementation of baseline and feasibility studies of energy options in the regional refugee contexts, and subsequent impact assessments/evaluations including in areas of overlap with other sectors.
- Lead the effort in resource mobilization for energy and environment-related activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
AUTHORITY(decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Support the UNHCR Representation in coordinating matters related to environment amongst different sectors within UNHCR, the local authorities, and implementing partners.
- Represent UNHCR in relevant national meetings and technical conferences in the area of environment.
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytical thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Civil or Environmental Engineering; Environmental Studies/Management of Natural Resources, Forestry or other related fields plus minimum 3 years of experience in energy, environmental assessment, planning, monitoring and evaluation of integrated environmental programmes/ projects in displacement and stable situations. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Proficiency in GIS enabled software to generate maps and input data.
- Awareness of and practical experience with refugee-related environmental problems.
- Experience in energy provision and energy in humanitarian/development settings, planning, and monitoring and evaluation of energy-related projects.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and implement projects.
- Ability to apply knowledge from contemporary research in the field of energy, and translate this into humanitarian settings; familiarity with emerging sustainable and appropriate energy technologies and renewable energy.
- Familiarity with emerging environmentally sustainable and appropriate technologies, and renewable energy.
- Solid skills in analysis, using and presenting quantitative and qualitative data, and report writing.
- Familiarity with community-based and participatory approaches.
- Excellent knowledge of English and knowledge of local language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Budgeting, planning and managerial skills, ability to work with various computer software
- Designing and facilitating training programmes