UNHCR: Assistant Field Officer Job 2019
VACANCY NOTICE Internal/ External Vacancy Notice Number 013/2019
POSITION NUMBER 10026738
NUMBER OF VACANCIES 1
POSITION GRADE NO-A
CLOSING DATE 2019-06-13
The Assistant Field Officer is normally supervised by the Snr Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
The incumbent does not normally have any direct supervisory role. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office. S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
ACCOUNTABILITY(key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR’s policies, standards and procedures are constantly and coherently applied in the area of responsibility (AoR).
- The needs of persons of concern in the AoR are assessed and analysed in a participating manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
RESPONSIBILITY(process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Assess the needs of persons of concern in the AoR and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district authorities and implementing partners.
- Promote and monitor the implementation of assistance projects.
- Report regularly on rate of flow of new arrivals and estimate expected influx based on interviews with persons of concern.
- In co-ordination with implementing partners, assist with the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Keep track of cases of detention; register applicants for voluntary repatriation and family reunion.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly sectoral reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports and year-end reports.
- Undertake other relevant duties as required.
AUTHORITY (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Analytical Thinking
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Law, Political Sciences or related fields plus minimum 1 year of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) may also be accepted.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Field experience.
- Computer skills.
- Knowledge of refugee law.
- Good knowledge of UNHCR’s programmes.
- UNHCR Protection Learning Programme.
- UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.