Impact Program PhD Fellowships (Cohort 2): Deadline Extended
Makerere University in collaboration with the Uganda Heart Institute, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, and Children’s National Hospital received funding from the National Institutes of Health’s Fogarty International Centre to implement the Impact Training Program. The goal of the program is to equip and nurture emerging research leaders and
professional scholars in Uganda to generate high-quality contemporary evidence on rheumatic heart disease (RHD) across the lifespan and to create an enduring research training center on the African continent that will rapidly advance progress towards the elimination of the disease in a generation. The impact program is soliciting applications for Cohort 2, 4-year Ph.D. scholarships tenable at Makerere University.
- Must be a junior or mid-level researcher/scientist affiliated with Makerere University and Uganda Heart Institute.
- Prior master’s degree or fellowship in medicine, social sciences, gender studies, or biomedical/health-related field.
- Able to articulate a clear research RHD problem.
- Demonstrate interest in RHD research and commitment to developing a productive career in RHD research.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of RHD in order to know that this is an appropriate next step for the applicant.
- Willingness to undertake and complete all training as mandated by the Impact program
- Commitment to publish research conducted under this training in open-access peer-reviewed journals.
Please see the Downloads for detailed selection criteria and application process.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is January 20, 2023.
Inquiries can be forwarded to the Impact Program Coordinator, 1st Floor Clinical Research Building, Room 1.4, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful candidates must complete training in responsible conduct of research (RCR), protection of human research participants (PHRP), and good clinical practice (GCP) before they conduct research involving human research subjects.
Application deadline: January 20, 2023
Interviews: February 13-17, 2023
Notification date: February 24, 2023
Applicants should demonstrate excellent communications skills and will be expected to work as part of a highly motivated, result oriented RHD group.