Once all documents are supplied, the registration process can be completed in one day.Deadline
Registration which includes payment of the fees listed in the section below, must be completed the last Friday in January each year.Related Fee(s)
- In-school candidates pay a fee of BS$15 per subject
- Private candidates pay a fee of BS$20 per subject in order to register to write BGCSE
Fees must be paid in cash at the Ministry of Education Cashier’s Unit (see address below), which is open Monday through Friday, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, except public holidays.
Private candidates based on the Family Islands may pay fees at the Cashier’s Unit at any Local Administrator’s Office, opened Monday through Friday except public holidays, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Bahamas General Certificate of Secondary Education, BGCSE, is based on the United Kingdom General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) and the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) models, but it has been tailored to meet the specific needs of The Bahamas. BGCSE examinations are designed to be taken after three years of high school study culminating at Grade 12.
Twenty-five subjects are currently offered.
Business Studies: Keyboarding, Bookkeeping & Accounts, Commerce, Economics and Office Procedures
Family and Consumer Sciences: Clothing Construction and Food and Nutrition
Language Arts: English Language and Literature
Modern Languages: Spanish and French
Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Combined Science, Physics and Mathematics
Social Sciences: History and Geography
Technical & Vocational: Auto Mechanics, Carpentry & Joinery, Electrical Installation, Graphical Communications
The Arts: Visual- Art & Design and Art & Craft
- Grade twelve students at Public High Schools and anyone over the age of 16 at private institutions are eligible to write the BGCSE. In addition, private candidates who are at least 16 years of age are eligible to write the exam.
- Private candidates wishing to register for BJC and/or BGCSE must not be enrolled as a full-time student in any approved centre.
The registration process is different for private and in-school candidates.
In-school candidates are registered by their schools by December for BGCSE exams being held the following May/June.
- Private candidates must obtain and complete a BGCSE entry form, which can be picked up from the Ministry of Education Head Office.
- Make relevant payments.
- Submit application form along with the proof of payment.
- Birth certificate/affidavit
- Valid picture ID