Call for Applications: CTCA Study Coordinator (Nov 2021-Nov 2026)
Quit4Life+: Adapting and Evaluating a Phone-Based Tobacco Use Cessation Program for People Living with HIV in Uganda and Zambia
The Centre for Tobacco Control in Africa is open for applications from suitably qualified candidates to coordinate a 5-years study in the field of HIV, tobacco use cessation and mHealth. The project targets young professional with a background in Public Health and clinical medicine from recognized university or any other related field institutions. The candidate should be interested in furthering research skills in the domains of HIV, tobacco control, mHealth, clinical trials and desirous of pursuing a PhD. The project provides opportunities for PhD.
About the Project
The Centre for Tobacco in Africa (CTCA), a constituent entity of Makerere University School of Public health responsible for capacity building and research for tobacco control in Africa. CTCA and the University of Southern California (USC) will be implementing a 5-year research project titled “Quit4Life+: Adapting and Evaluating a Phone-Based Tobacco Use Cessation Program for People Living with HIV in Uganda and Zambia”. This randomized control trial study aims to promote smoking cessation among HIV infected persons through adapting a standard short message service (SMS) for tobacco cessation program and the efficacy of SMS-based program tailored to meet the needs of PLWH (Quit4Life+) in comparison to the current standard of care in Uganda and Zambia.
The study will provide insights into the efficacy, feasibility, and applicability of delivering tobacco cessation interventions through health care professionals at HIV treatment centers in two countries with different tobacco use patterns, policy environments, and health care resources and provide needed information to providers and policymakers looking for cost-effective tobacco cessation interventions to inform scale-up of tobacco use cessation in LMICs worldwide. The project is therefore targeting public health professionals with experience in clinical trials and interested in fortifying their research skills who want to do a PhD.
While the PhD sponsorship is not embedded in the study, the project provides opportunities for a 5-year hands-on practicum the study coordinator will optimize to further his/her research and writing skills. The study coordinator will be expected to participate in teaching and to co-mentoring students interested to conduct research in the fields covered by the study. The candidate will be assigned an academic mentor from within the study team to further his/her career objective.
Scope of Work
The objective of recruiting a study coordinator is to strengthen coordination of the study to attain the project deliverables in the projected timelines. Therefore, the project seeks to recruit a professional responsible for holding the research program together in support of the project goal and specific aims to understand tobacco use cessation among HIV positive clients in health care settings. The search is for a full-time professional to hold the different components of the research project linked and desirous of undertaking a PhD. The successful individual will undergo a 6 months’ probation. The contract is renewable after successful performance appraisal for up to 5 years. In fulfilment of the PhD support, part of the individual salary will pay his/her tuition at Makerere University. The individual will use data from the project to write his/her thesis and also participate in the capacity building activities/session at the School of Public Health.
The study coordinator will;
- Develop the quarterly and annual work plans for the project
- Draft communication letters and memos for signature by the PI or his/her designate
- Schedule and convene virtual/physical meetings
- Act as secretary for the meetings
- Prepare terms of reference and job descriptions of project staff including field research teams
- Coordinate research capacity building activities and keep liaison with the study site teams in the two countries
- Ensure the study tools are up to date and protocols are submitted to IRB including renewals
- Support the procurement of the needed equipment to conduct the data collection
- Field supervision of study activities
- Supervision and appraisal of research assistants
- Overseeing data management and analysis, maintain, and update the research database for ease of follow up and reference
- Ensure quality assurance of the data collected
- Tracking progress against targets and documenting the study progress for timely and quality research outputs
- Preparing and submitting weekly progress reports to the PI
- Planning and management tasks for the smooth running of the research project.
- Track progress against targets and document the study process through compilation of monthly reports
- Coordinate the consent disclosure language and authorization, data collection, management, analysis and transmission
- Generate activity plans and the requisite operational schedules.
- Participate in preparation of manuscripts for publication in scientific journals.
- Compile monthly, quarterly, and annual report for review by the PI
- Participate is translating research outputs into peer reviewed journal articles, manuscripts, and publications.
- Organize dissemination of research information through various dissemination channels
- Any other duties related to the study that may be assigned by the PI
Key deliverables along the project path
The required deliverables include;
- Study tools
- Quarterly and annual work plans & budgets
- Performance Reports; Monthly, quarterly annual
- Term of references for the various level of the project team
- Checklists of project team
- A publication per year
- Supervision of students at master’s level
- Submission of a research grant for funding
- A PhD dissertation
The applicant should submit electronically by 15th December 2021 at 5.00pm EAT;
- A cover letter
- A detailed Curriculum Vitae highlighting relevant research experience
- Copies of academic transcripts
- A statement of motivation that indicates reasons for applying for this post
- Reference letters from two referees with active phone numbers, and email addresses
- Address your application EOI[at]ctc-africa.org
Preference will be given to applicants interested in pursuing a PhD and demonstrated ability to contribute to the overall project goal.
Call originally posted on CTCA website