WFP: Senior Supply Chain Associate Job 2019
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Senior Supply Chain Associate, SC7 to be based in Arua. Selected candidate will be employed on Service Contract.ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
The function mainly supports the Area Office to make informed regarding supply chain operations including the monitoring and reporting on location of commodities, availability, and quality. The function is critical in planning arrival and dispatch of commodities while strengthening supply chain systems and capacity of teams.JOB PURPOSE
To provide a range of specialised support functions and/or lead a team performing standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support field teams in supply Chain management processes including retail supply chain analysis and Market Competition Analysis;
- Support the AO and field teams to enhance operational efficiency through coherent work processes, integration and real-time visibility of stock levels and commodity movement;
- Manage the relationship with service providers and key internal stakeholders, to ensure services are provided on time and according to set quality standards;
- Coordinate the delivery of commodities in coordination with the pogrammes team ensuring that all required documentation is readily available at Field and Area Office level;
- Ensure continuous improvement in transparency/traceability across the supply chain ensuring food quality checks are properly carried out and documented in a timely manner;
- Support the engagement with partners and service providers;
- Ensure effective collaboration with the procurement teams at order and process levels;
- Support the Area Office in interpreting and applying compliance related to Third-Party Logistics providers as well as quality control supervisor to ensure the effective delivery of assistance in the region;
- Support the Supply Chain Monitoring in collaboration with the Programme team as well as the Resource Management Committee and recommending actions for maximizing use of resources and cash, for effective supply chain operations;
- Work in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, to deliver aligned and coherent end to end supply chain services and strengthen partnerships in supply chain;
- Build and maintain productive partnerships with supply chain counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge contributing to coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Provide technical contribution to market analysis and supply chain network mapping to inform the selection of appropriate operation modalities and vendors’ portfolio to improve supply chain performance;
- Identify training needs and efficiently plan trainings including via provider and own UNWFP team members, to ensure that all staff have the required knowledge and skills to carry out their responsibilities including in Logistics Execution Support System (LESS) or equivalent end-to-end food supply chain management system.
- Perform other related duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Qualification, Experience and Languages required:
Education: A degree in the related functions with at least five years of relevant work experience.
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication In English.
Working knowledge of Luo, Acholi, Lugbara, Madi, Kakwa, Aringa, Alur and Langi is an added advantage4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization
|Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
|Planning, Project & Resource Management
|Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
|Information Management & Reporting
|Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution
|Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
|Warehouse and Inventory Management
|Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
|Technical Assistance and Coordination
|Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Experience maintaining corporate systems and running queries on ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock
Experience in administering third party service providers’ contracts
Experience in compiling contract documentation
Experience in contract execution
Experience in budget monitoring and reporting.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
30th June 2019