Kyambogo University 2019 Vacancy
Kyambogo University is a public university, established in 2003 following the merger of the former Institute of Teacher Education Kyambogo (ITEK), Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK), and Uganda National Institute for Special Education (UNISE). The University Campus is located on Kyambogo Hill in the capital city, Kampala. Kyambogo University is the second largest university in Uganda with more than 30,000 students on-campus.
Kyambogo University is a unique institution which has adopted an integrated approach to education, focusing on vocationalising education at all levels. The University has embraced the fields of science and technology, humanities, business management and entrepreneurship, education and teacher development as well as special needs education.
In order to achieve its vision, mission and strategic goals, the University invites applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the following Senior Management Positions: Deputy University Librarian (1 vacancy) and Deputy Director Human Resources (1 vacancy). Please visit www.kyu.ac.ug/jobs to view and/or download the detailed job advert and general terms for the positions:
JOB TITLE : Deputy University Librarian (Re-advertised)
SALARY SCALE : M4
RESPONSIBLE TO : University Librarian
RESPONSIBLE FOR : Senior Librarians
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To deputize the University Librarian in managing and implementing university policies and regulations for enhancing the delivery of library services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To coordinate the development and review of library and information services policy and strategies;
- To support the development of annual work plans and financial budgets for efficient library services and acquisition of relevant and up-to-date reading materials and equipment;
- To coordinate the activities of the various library units, namely: Technical Services, Circulation, Reserve, Book Bank in both main and branch Libraries;
- To support the monitoring and review of the performance of all Libraries within the University Service;
- To coordinate the acquisition, processing of all library reading, audio-visual, and electronic materials within the library service;
- To develop systems to facilitate accessibility of reading materials by library users;
- To provide regular updates on the Library stock to adequately inform the readers on all materials received in the Library;
- To develop effective and efficient procedures that enable users utilize all the available materials within the University Library Service;
- To manage Library stock taking in the entire University Library Service
- To supervise, mentor, counsel and appraise Library staff; and
- To perform any other official duties that may be assigned by the University Librarian.
- Development of policies, strategies, annual work plans and financial budgets Supports the for library services supported;
- Activities of the various Library units coordinated;
- Monitoring and review of the performance of all Libraries supported.
- Acquisition, processing of all library reading, audio-visual, and electronic materials coordinated.
- Systems to facilitate accessibility of reading materials developed.
- Regular updates on the Library stock compiled and disseminated.
- Effective and efficient procedures for easy and optimal use of the Library developed.
- Library stock taking managed.
- Library staff supervised, mentored, counseled and appraised.
- Other official duties as assigned by the University Librarian performed.
i) A PhD in Library and Information Science from a recognized University/Institution;
ii) Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or Information Science from a recognized University/Institution;
- iii) Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Science, Information Studies, Information Technology, Information Systems or in Humanities or Science from a recognized University/Institution;
Should have a minimum of seven (7) years working experience in library services in an institution of higher learning, three (3) of which should have been at the level of Senior Librarian in a University or an equivalent level from a recognized institution.
- PUBLICATIONS: Candidates must have at least three (3) new scholarly publications since last appointment (to Senior Librarian).
- AGE LIMIT: Should be below 55 years old at the time of application.
JOB TITLE : Deputy Director Human Resources
SALARY SCALE : M4
RESPONSIBLE TO : Director Human Resources
RESPONSIBLE FOR : Senior Human Resource Officers
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To deputise the Director Human Resources in providing professional direction on the management of the human resource function at the University.
- To support the Director Human Resources in initiating, developing or reviewing human resource management policy, manual, plans, strategies, guidelines, rules and regulations.
- To Support the Director Human Resources in preparing annual work plans and budgets for the Directorate of Human Resources.
- To Provide technical support to Managers on issues regarding performance management including setting of realistic performance targets for staff and conduct of appraisals.
- To Supervise the processing of emoluments, benefits and work related compensation as stipulated by University policy or the law.
- To advise on and reporting to the Director Human Resources staff development requirements of the various Faculties and Departments.
- To develop University staff forecasts, recruitment and exit plans for the medium and long term.
- To manage and assess the performance of staff in the Directorate of Human Resources.
- To mentor, coach and counsel staff of the Directorate of Human Resources.
- To provide technical support to staff on the interpretation and application of human resource policy, the Human Resource Manual, staff regulations and other relevant human resource issues.
- To provide technical support for recruitment, appointment, confirmation, exit and discipline of staff in the University service.
- To manage the implementation of strategies and mechanisms for the management of industrial relations within the University.
- To supervise the proper management of HR records of the University.
- Support for the development of human resources management policy, manual, plans, strategies, guidelines, rules and regulations provided.
- Support to the Director Human Resources in preparing annual work plans and budgets for the Directorate provided.
- Technical support to Managers on issues regarding performance management provided.
- Processing of emoluments, benefits, terminal benefits and work related compensation administered in line with University policy or the law.
- Staff development requirements of the Faculties and Departments established and reported.
- University staff forecasts established and recruitment and exit plans for the medium and long term developed.
- Staff in the Office of the University Bursar managed and assessed.
- Staff in the Office of the University Bursar mentored, coached and counselled.
- Technical support to staff on human resource issues provided.
- Recruitment, appointment, confirmation, promotion and discipline of staff in the University service supported.
- Implementation of strategies and mechanisms for the management of industrial relations within the University managed.
- Proper management of HR records of the University supervised.
- Must possess a Masters’ degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration (HRM/Executive option), Public Administration, Management Studies (HRM option) or Organizational Psychology from a recognised institution.
- Must possess a Bachelors’ degree in either Arts (Social Sciences), Human Resource Management, Social Work and Social Administration, Business Administration, Public Administration, Organisational Psychology and Law from a recognised institution.
- Diploma in Law or Certificate in Administrative Law is an added advantage.
- Should have high integrity with excellent communication, leadership and people skills.
- Should have proven ability to manage technical teams and transfer skills and knowledge to others through formal training and technical support.
- Should have demonstrable knowledge in computerized HR management systems and other relevant computer applications.
- Ability to identify and build relationships and networks that support current and future human resource objectives of the University.
- Should have the knowledge and ability to provide guidance to other Managers on Human Resource matters.
- Can sustain change and positively balance the combination of human resources, financial resources, technology and change processes to realise the University’s strategic objectives.
- Should have broad knowledge of employment legislation, policy and regulations.
Should have a minimum of eight (8) years working experience in a reputable organization, four (4) of which should have been at senior management level in the HR function.
Should be above 40 years old and below 55 years old at the time of application.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE ABOVE SENIOR MANAGEMENT JOB OPPORTUNITIES
- Interested persons who meet the minimum requirements for the above positions should submit Six (6) hard copies of their applications together with the following:
- A detailed and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates, and professional qualifications.
- Names and addresses of three referees who should be advised to send reference letters directly to the Director Human Resources under confidential cover.
- Copies of the birth certificate or copies of relevant pages of the passport and National ID indicating the applicant’s date of birth.
- Sealed application should be sent to the address below not later than 8th February 2019 5:00 pm East African Standard Time.
- Applications should be addressed to:
DIRECTOR HUMAN RESOURCES
SECOND FLOOR, ADMINISTRATION BLOCK (RECORDS OFFICE)
Tel: +256 414 286 452
- Only those who respond to this Advertisement will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for interviews.
- Applicants who shall not hear from Kyambogo University on completion of the selection exercise should consider themselves as unsuccessful.
- Names of successful candidates shall be posted on the University website.