Research has become an increasingly important part of the core business of the Faculty of Medicine (FOM) at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST). The creation and formalization of research groups in the Faculty is an important ingredient in the Faculty research strategy.
Formalized research groups have a positive effect on the quality of individual research as well as researcher training and they greatly contribute to institution-based research. The formation of research groups is a key part of research strategies in the Faculty of Medicine. This will enable us to create a more research-intensive and competitive academic environment in the faculty.
We have received funds under the First Mile Program implemented under the Deans Office with opportunities of up to four (4) research grants of 7,000 US dollars each to multidisciplinary research groups in the Faculty of Medicine at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) to conduct applied impactful research.
The Office of the Dean, Faculty of Medicine at MUST is therefore inviting applications for these 4 research awards.
These one-time annual awards will support applied research capacity in any discipline or field within the faculty of medicine in the areas of community health, nursing, clinical care; emergency medicine/trauma, intensive care, high-risk maternal care, oncology, palliative care, and biomedical sciences/basic sciences at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST) or Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital (MRRH).
- Composition: The team should be comprised of 5-7 members with different skill sets and from different disciplines. The team should have both junior and senior members of the faculty for purposes of mentorship. Members from our primary teaching hospital i.e. Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital (MRRH) can also be part of the research groups or form research groups together with Faculty of Medicine members.
- Not having obtained previous First Mile awards for research
- A team should not submit more than one grant application
Deliverable: Submitted manuscript, a work plan as a team and identified grants to be applied for as a team.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants should submit both hard copy applications to the office of the Dean Faculty of Medicine and soft copies emailed to email@example.com
- Submit a concept paper of a maximum of 5 pages of a proposed research group. The concept paper should have the following structure:
- Research group name and membership (indicate the PI)
- Objectives of the research group
- Objectives of the research
- Problem statement
- The team should state their short- and long-term goals in regard to research, innovation and grant writing.
- Submit up-to-date CV (maximum 2 pages) of each group member
Closing date for applications: 23rd March 2023 5 pm EAT
Start of grant: 15th April 2023
End of grant: 30th December 2023
FOR FURTHER INQUIRIES, CONTACT:
Dr Brian Turigye
Dean, Dr. Joseph Ngonzi
Associate Professor Joel Bazira